I have to admit something to my readers: I never studied Geography at school! :0 I came to it very late in my career as a teacher – only 2 years ago! When I did my teaching degree, History and English were my majors, but if I could have my time again, I’d actually choose Geography and Home Economics. I read somewhere that Home Ec was a dying subject – I hope not! – but that’s a topic for another day. Back to ‘5 Reasons Why Kids Need to Study Geography‘!
1. Understanding the world around them: Geography provides children with a comprehensive understanding of the physical and human world around them. They learn about different cultures, religions, and customs, as well as the physical features of the Earth, such as oceans, mountains, and rivers.
2. Developing critical thinking skills: Geography is an excellent subject for developing critical thinking skills. Children learn how to analyze and interpret data, maps, and graphs. They also learn how to formulate and test hypotheses, make comparisons, and draw conclusions.
3. Preparing for the future: Studying geography prepares children for the future by providing them with the skills and knowledge needed for the globalized world. As the world becomes more interconnected, it is important for children to understand how different countries and cultures interact.
4. Promoting environmental awareness: Geography teaches children about the impact of human activity on the environment. They learn about the causes and consequences of climate change, pollution, and other environmental issues. This knowledge helps them to become responsible citizens and stewards of the planet.
5. Enhancing spatial reasoning skills: Geography requires children to develop spatial reasoning skills, which are essential for many other fields, such as mathematics, science, and engineering. These skills include the ability to read and interpret maps, understand spatial relationships, and visualize objects in three dimensions.
So, encourage your child to study Geography online, particularly if they’re curious about the world and love facts. It’s valuable knowledge that they will carry through their lives!